Testing Chat Thread

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Civil War Man

Re: Testing Chat Thread

#1126 Post by Civil War Man »

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to handle it.

But you know what? I'm okay with that.

When I was applying for colleges years ago, West Point sent me a recruitment brochure. My family laughed because they figured that I would be a really shitty soldier. And I felt no need to try to prove them wrong.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1127 Post by Aaron »

Darksi4190 wrote:I don't know, it's probably a stupid idea anyways. I just figured there'd be some meaning to it you know? Like i'd be doing something important, but that's probably not the case.
It isn't. Its a dirty, dangerous and thankless job that pays shit for what you do. Dig holes for a livinv, at least you can leave your work at work.

thejester

#1128 Post by thejester »

depends what you want to do

the ADF pitches to potential officer candidates on the pretty consistent basis that you can get a university degree and a HECS debt and then spend your life in an office

or you can get paid to go to uni and then spend a few years in a challenging environment flying round helicopters and scuba diving and shit

Not hard to see the appeal...and if you can handle the chickenshit, it would be awesome.

Zod
perkele

#1129 Post by Zod »

thejester wrote:depends what you want to do

the ADF pitches to potential officer candidates on the pretty consistent basis that you can get a university degree and a HECS debt and then spend your life in an office

or you can get paid to go to uni and then spend a few years in a challenging environment flying round helicopters and scuba diving and shit

Not hard to see the appeal...and if you can handle the chickenshit, it would be awesome.
or they could put you in charge of an infantry company and ship you off to afghanistan

adr-admin
Site Admin

#1130 Post by adr-admin »

so i watched a couple episodes of the 70's show EMERGENCY! last week, which follows some firefighter paramedics

great television and that's an example of some real superheroes

like those rescues take fucking nerves of steel but these guys don't hesitate. gotta climb up that gigantic thing to help a victim? they just do it. gotta go into a burning chemical plant to get some people out? they just do it.

and somehow they manage to stay calm enough to deliver life saving medical attention to the victims in all kinds of situations

and hell delivering the medical attention is no easy task even in the best of circumstances cuz of the consequences if you fuck it up

i betcha i'd just like freeze up faced with any of that

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#1131 Post by Darksi4190 »

Zod wrote:
or they could put you in charge of an infantry company and ship you off to afghanistan

The wars are ending right now, and if I did decide to join up, it wouldn't be until my next school semester is over in December at the soonest.

Going overseas is the one thing i'm honestly not worried about.

Zod
perkele

#1132 Post by Zod »

Darksi4190 wrote:
Zod wrote:

The wars are ending right now, and if I did decide to join up, it wouldn't be until my next school semester is over in December at the soonest.

Going overseas is the one thing i'm honestly not worried about.
that doesn't mean they can't send you to a high risk zone

and if romney wins the presidency you might get sent to iran :v

thejester

#1133 Post by thejester »

if you're aim in joining is 'I want to test myself', then being afraid of active deployment is pretty stupid

Darksi4190

#1134 Post by Darksi4190 »

I'm not afraid of it, I just don't think it'd happen.

Zod
perkele

#1135 Post by Zod »

thejester wrote:if you're aim in joining is 'I want to test myself', then being afraid of active deployment is pretty stupid
what's hilarious is when you get a bunch of idiots that sign up because they think they'll never get shipped to combat

and then they desert when they find out that they might get shot at and get sent to prison :v

Darksi4190

#1136 Post by Darksi4190 »

There was a time right out of high school when I thought going off to war might be exciting, but i'm mostly past that now. Like I said before, I just want to do something with purpose and meaning.

Zod
perkele

#1137 Post by Zod »

it's overrated

Losonti Tokash

#1138 Post by Losonti Tokash »

how the fuck would you know

Flagg

#1139 Post by Flagg »

Losonti Tokash wrote:how the fuck would you know
He fought in several bloody battles of the Cola Wars.

So did I. I'm a bit damaged by it all. I've seen some stuff, man. And things. I wouldn't recommend it.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

RogueIce
#YOLO

#1140 Post by RogueIce »

Zod wrote:or they could put you in charge of an infantry company and ship you off to afghanistan
From what I've seen of the officer side of things, infantry is actually pretty competitive to get into, for the Army at least. Your worst case there is getting stuck in Quartermaster or Transpo.

PS: They wouldn't put you in charge of a company straight off, it'd be a platoon. :prof:

Dooey Jo

#1141 Post by Dooey Jo »

man the army must have done some pretty heavy marketing if people feel joining them would be "meaningful"

of course they have the full support of the state behind them, while medical workers, teachers, fire fighters, etc. get the short end of the stick

"national interests" are more important that human interests you see
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

Gands

#1142 Post by Gands »

What do the army even do in the US?

Is everything handled by hooahmarines?

timmy

#1143 Post by timmy »

Not true. They handle everything the Army doesn't want to do/involves water
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

adr-admin
Site Admin

#1144 Post by adr-admin »

Dooey Jo wrote:man the army must have done some pretty heavy marketing if people feel joining them would be "meaningful"
the anti-war lobby recently tried to kill some military marketing funding. got shut down by the military-industrial complex. but the number was huge and it primarily targetted kids, of course

included all kinds of crap, the tv commercials, funding a NASCAR team, even propagandists working for hollywood and feeding crap to the news media

just ridiculous

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#1145 Post by Phantasee »

Darksi4190 wrote:I don't know, it's probably a stupid idea anyways. I just figured there'd be some meaning to it you know? Like i'd be doing something important, but that's probably not the case.
i wanted to be a tank commander as i was getting out of hs

go to kingston, get a degree at the royal military college, get a commission, roll around in a tank

this was 06

i tried to pitch it to my dad

'they'll pay for school!'

'son this is canada, tuition is like $5k a year*, i'll pay for it myself, you can pay for it yourself with a summer job'

he convinced me there are more productive ways to make a difference in the lives of others than by joining the forces and blowing up brown people

*$6-7k a year now
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Shroom Man 777
The Mang, the Myth, the Legend.

#1146 Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Phantasee wrote:there are more productive ways to make a difference in the lives of others than by joining the forces and blowing up brown people
this

Aaron
El Duderino

#1147 Post by Aaron »

You'll deploy, war or no war. NATO is in every trouble spot one way or another, it just wont be "war"

If you like I can throw on some combats and come shoot at you. Saves wasting your youth.

Darksi4190

#1148 Post by Darksi4190 »

Would this be before or after you kick me into lake Michigan?

Darksi4190

#1149 Post by Darksi4190 »

Texas, Midwest?

Fuck you Flagg. Fuck you long and hard.

Flagg

#1150 Post by Flagg »

Pfft, flyover is flyover.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine