The Testing Chat III: The Time of Great Chatting

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
evilsoup

Re: The Testing Chat III: The Time of Great Chatting

#1326 Post by evilsoup »

Is retard still used as a medical term? I believe that the correct term now would be 'learning difficulties' or 'special needs' or a specific disorder.

Also for a while there was an attempt (at least over here) to use the word 'special' (i.e. special needs) to refer to children with learning difficulties
which of course quickly became one of the playground taunts
then I think there was something like 'sparks kids' or something? Anyway, that didn't last long, for the same reason
I think they've given up on that ridiculous strategy now
so yeah euphemism treadmill

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#1327 Post by Darksi4190 »

As someone who actually has a learning disability, I probably shouldn't use retard as an insult as much as I do, but when you're online gaming, you can either call someone a retard, or call them gay, and I don't like to use gay as an insult.

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#1328 Post by adr »

gg n00blars. pwned
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Agent Bert Macklin

#1329 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Or you can be an adult and not respond to these people in such a way when playing online.

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#1330 Post by Darksi4190 »

Negative Knub wrote:Or you can be an adult and not respond to these people in such a way when playing online.
I don't do it that often, but every once and a while, somebody will do something so mind-blowingly stupid, you really have to get on the mic and yell at them for it.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#1331 Post by RyanThunder »

Jung wrote:
RyanThunder wrote:Fun fact: idiot, moron, retard, halfwit, dumb, etc. are all medical terms used legitimately to refer to someone with a learning disorder at some point or another.

So it is literally impossible to call anybody anything but 'stupid' if you want to insult their intelligence, if we listen to the PC brigade.
I don't think stuff like "idiot" and "moron" are proper medical terms or really associated with medical conditions in most people's mind's anymore though. Their useage in the language has evolved to the point where they've basically lost their "real" meanings and just mean stupid.
Exactly like 'retard'.
"Retard" is different because the association with medical conditions in the living language is stronger.
I think we're well past the point where anybody would use it in a neutral light, though. Also, what evilsoup said.

I think the problem is, fundamentally, that the terms being used to refer to somebody with a learning disability end up being easy enough to throw into a sentence. If they're too clunky to use as a clever-sounding insult, I don't think they will be, which is why phrasing it as a long-winded condition they have is preferable because nobody in their right mind is going to use that as an insult.

evilsoup

#1332 Post by evilsoup »

I prefer 'fuckhead'
or, even better, combining swears with otherwise innocent words
'tablefucker' is a good one. Or 'shitburger'.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#1333 Post by RyanThunder »

ginormous shitbird?

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#1334 Post by RyanThunder »

'whiny sniveling cockgoblin'?

Losonti Tokash

#1335 Post by Losonti Tokash »

hey ryan go use the word retard around someone who has a developmental disability and tell us how not hurt they are

dumbshits coming up with excuses for why it's okay for them to use a slur never gets old

edit: hey guys why do people get upset when i call a black person a negro it used to be what the census called them

pc gone mad :(

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#1336 Post by RyanThunder »

I actually don't even use it because I don't like how it sounds in a sentence.

evilsoup

#1337 Post by evilsoup »

'cockgoblin' sounds like a homophobic slur of some kind
but otherwise, yeah, you're getting it

Djinnkitty83

#1338 Post by Djinnkitty83 »

I guess 'cockgoblin' sounds a little like 'cockgobbler', which could easily be seen as homophobic.

I just saw the word as implying someone looked like a hideous, deformed penis-monster.
Darksi4190 wrote:
Negative Knub wrote:Or you can be an adult and not respond to these people in such a way when playing online.
I don't do it that often, but every once and a while, somebody will do something so mind-blowingly stupid, you really have to get on the mic and yell at them for it.
No you don't.

adr

#1339 Post by adr »

when I play that black ops 2 game my username is like pi415926535 and ppl have a few times been like "pi guy you're a I'M A JUGGALO WOOP WOOP faggot pi is 3.14 not 415whatever"

and I just want to correc thtem but I don't have a mic lol

cookie to anyone who can figure out why I picked the numbers I did

and i'll throw in some milk to anyone who sees why i'm revealing this amusing anecdote at this time

evilsoup

#1340 Post by evilsoup »

well those numbers are a bunch of digits from pi (I know it starts 3.141592, I have no idea why I memorised that many digits)
but apart from that I'm afraid I can't perceive your brilliance *smirk*

Flagg

#1341 Post by Flagg »

Losonti Tokash wrote:hey ryan go use the word retard around someone who has a developmental disability and tell us how not hurt they are

dumbshits coming up with excuses for why it's okay for them to use a slur never gets old

edit: hey guys why do people get upset when i call a black person a negro it used to be what the census called them

pc gone mad :(
Yeah but they aren't people like us, so who cares? :duchess:
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Infinity Biscuit
Battering Ram of Love

#1342 Post by Infinity Biscuit »

Darksi4190 wrote:As someone who actually has a learning disability, I probably shouldn't use retard as an insult as much as I do, but when you're online gaming, you can either call someone a retard, or call them gay, and I don't like to use gay as an insult.
Did this make sense only long enough to type it or do you still think this sentence is a reasonable thing to say?

Losonti Tokash

#1343 Post by Losonti Tokash »

shit i didn't even see that post earlier :wtc:

adr

#1344 Post by adr »

evilsoup wrote:well those numbers are a bunch of digits from pi (I know it starts 3.141592, I have no idea why I memorised that many digits)
I knew it to like 160 digits for a while for a "pi off" in high school lol. I didn't even win :(

I've since forgotten most of it but still remember like the first 30 which is actually pretty useful whenever I need to pick some "random" numbers!

But yes at first I couldn't find a username so I figured i'd just use "3.14159265358979323846264" well as much as it was willing to accept. But it had to start with a letter, so I replaced the first two characters with the word "pi".

Anywho the point is these guys threw out insults when if they just put a tiny bit more effort into thinking about it, they could see that there actually is a reasonable explanation behind it. Insults are easy... but rarely accurate or useful. So instead of arguing over what word we use, I say we should change our approach to not using insults at all.

Though I totally sympathize with those who just want to scream at the fucking hacker n00bs using mod chips in their playstations to increase my lag just so they can win. I mean come on it is just a game is winning really that important to you? so come on LET ME WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it just isn't useful.

evilsoup

#1345 Post by evilsoup »

I generally just use evilsoup
sometimes evilsoup1

Oxymoron

#1346 Post by Oxymoron »

What's the story behind the name ?
No.

Straha
Lecturer

#1347 Post by Straha »

Over the past year I've been reading a lot of the literature on Ableism and trying to cut out a lot of the shit I used to do. It isn't just offensive, it helps to damage any ability to relate to people who are non-neuronormative and makes attempts to work with them almost... shameful.

Darksi4190 wrote:As someone who actually has a learning disability, I probably shouldn't use retard as an insult as much as I do, but when you're online gaming, you can either call someone a retard, or call them gay, and I don't like to use gay as an insult.
Mark the time. We have reached peak *smirk* .
"Is it not part of being erotically experienced, however, to know that the desire to enter the other can lead one to the wrong entrance?" - Peter Sloterdijk

"Ethics is endless, the law is terminal." - Paul Mann

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#1348 Post by RyanThunder »

Phantasee wrote:meant to put quotes around that

just tryin to help a brother out :ocelot:
Of course you did. :lol:
Either way its all good. :brah:

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#1349 Post by Zablorg »

look just call everyone shitbirds that's what i do

Straha
Lecturer

#1350 Post by Straha »

I like 'Fritata' my self.

EDIT: Also Holy Fuck, Batman is 42? I did not know that. Suddenly that situation becomes very depressing.
"Is it not part of being erotically experienced, however, to know that the desire to enter the other can lead one to the wrong entrance?" - Peter Sloterdijk

"Ethics is endless, the law is terminal." - Paul Mann