The Testing Chat III: The Time of Great Chatting

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
Starglider

Re: The Testing Chat III: The Time of Great Chatting

#2101 Post by Starglider »

Oxymoron wrote:A head's up, you're probably going to get dogpiled in 3... 2... 1... :v
On this board that would be what, a half dozen chihuahuas? :)

Oxymoron

#2102 Post by Oxymoron »

:lol:

Don't underestimate chihuahas. They're allegedly one of the most aggressive and psychopatic breed out there.
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#2103 Post by Aaron »

Surprised you signed up.

Oxymoron

#2104 Post by Oxymoron »

When you think about it, they put a whole metropolis under lockdown just to apprehend a single suspect.

The economic impact alone must be counted in dozens of millions of dollars already.

That's crazy.
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#2105 Post by Aaron »

I'm more concenered about what rights there going to go after this time.

...their? Aww fuck it.

Crazedwraith

#2106 Post by Crazedwraith »

they're. short for 'What rights they are going to go after this time'
To the Brave passengers and crew of the Kobayashi Maru... Sucks to be you

Aaron
El Duderino

#2107 Post by Aaron »

Wow, I was wrong twice! :lol:

Veef

#2108 Post by Veef »

Oxymoron wrote:When you think about it, they put a whole metropolis under lockdown just to apprehend a single suspect.

The economic impact alone must be counted in dozens of millions of dollars already.

That's crazy.

i don't think economic impact is more important when the guy running around is armed and already killed a bunch of people

i mean we're a liberals liberals liberals liberals state so

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#2109 Post by adr »

fb wrote:Thanks twitter for scaring the crap out of me. #Watertown is trending...gunshots, and general panic being reported, but they mean Watertown, MA
n.b. we're in watertown, ny
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Starglider

#2110 Post by Starglider »

Aaron wrote:Surprised you signed up.
The original testingstan board was created around when that clusterfuck with the 'house of commons' / stark in the senate / shutdown of the senate / mods going on about 'testing being out of control, must be purged' etc was happening. I was somewhat involved with that so I joined (in 2009) and was around for a couple of months or so. I confess I have read the current board from time to time e.g. I missed that mass-banning last summer so looked here to see what happened and if there was another side to it.

Aaron
El Duderino

#2111 Post by Aaron »

Yeah, I remember all that.

Aaron
El Duderino

#2112 Post by Aaron »

Though I think I waited for a year to sign up here. I'm actually kind of grateful that the Senate turned into a shit show. It resulted in me spending less time there, and spending more time getting better.

Glass Fort MacLeod
Fuckin' New Guy

#2113 Post by Glass Fort MacLeod »

The senate wasn't intended to be totally serious ever though, it just became serious because.. the rest of the board is. I dont knwo where or why the seriousness crept in (N&P would be my personal guess, because POLITICS AND NEWS AND ADULT TOPICS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS, and spaceships exploding isn't.) When it was just a fiction board, it was easy not to take it serious. When it moves into 'non-fiction' stuff, it started growing more serious (but not more adult because of the mindsets.) and it pretty much infected the rest of the board. I mean, for how long had the fiction side of things been dead as N&P and the nonfiction stuff grew?

I'm also just going to say it even though I've sorta kept quiet about it. I don't get the whole LOLOLOL TROLL SDN PEOPLE. Its precisely like Gandalf said in the HPCA thread, at some point it stops being funny, and thus the only reaosn to do it is some bizarre reason to justify your own sense of self superiority. Which to me is precisely the sort of attitudes you left SDN to get away from.

Oxymoron

#2114 Post by Oxymoron »

Tribes and wolves, Connor.
No.

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#2115 Post by RyanThunder »

Glass Fort MacLeod wrote:If N&P calcifed anything it was the attitude that things should be taken seriously, and that there were ABSOLUTE TRUTHS.
There aren't?

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#2116 Post by Bakustra »

RyanThunder wrote:
Glass Fort MacLeod wrote:If N&P calcifed anything it was the attitude that things should be taken seriously, and that there were ABSOLUTE TRUTHS.
There aren't?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism

Bakustra
Religious Fifth Columnist Who Hates Science, Especially Evolution
Location: Wherever I go, there are nothing but punks like you.

#2117 Post by Bakustra »

Glass Fort MacLeod wrote:The senate wasn't intended to be totally serious ever though, it just became serious because.. the rest of the board is. I dont knwo where or why the seriousness crept in (N&P would be my personal guess, because POLITICS AND NEWS AND ADULT TOPICS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS, and spaceships exploding isn't.) When it was just a fiction board, it was easy not to take it serious. When it moves into 'non-fiction' stuff, it started growing more serious (but not more adult because of the mindsets.) and it pretty much infected the rest of the board. I mean, for how long had the fiction side of things been dead as N&P and the nonfiction stuff grew?

I'm also just going to say it even though I've sorta kept quiet about it. I don't get the whole LOLOLOL TROLL SDN PEOPLE. Its precisely like Gandalf said in the HPCA thread, at some point it stops being funny, and thus the only reaosn to do it is some bizarre reason to justify your own sense of self superiority. Which to me is precisely the sort of attitudes you left SDN to get away from.
in theory if you do it with socratic irony it as least can help people to recognize the faults of their thinking, but beyond a certain point actively engaging reduces any potential humor- when you're deliberately trying to piss people off, it's not as funny when it works as when they say ridiculous things straight off the bat, which is why that dragon-furry-thing thread had its funniest posts in the first couple pages when people were talking about how they would subordinate their sexual behavior to the hypothetical needs of some dragon society, because the insanity was unprovoked

of course, i only advocate trolling when the person is question is a massive asshole and you can let off steam by messing with them a little bit. in any case, trolling eventually develops into meta-trolling where everything you do becomes suspect and carefully assumed to be ironic or sarcastic in some fashion, which renders things unworkable for people who want to post sincerely and diminishes any impact, so yeah.
Starglider wrote:
Aaron wrote:Surprised you signed up.
The original testingstan board was created around when that clusterfuck with the 'house of commons' / stark in the senate / shutdown of the senate / mods going on about 'testing being out of control, must be purged' etc was happening. I was somewhat involved with that so I joined (in 2009) and was around for a couple of months or so. I confess I have read the current board from time to time e.g. I missed that mass-banning last summer so looked here to see what happened and if there was another side to it.
i must admit to appreciating you more and more as time goes by

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#2118 Post by adr »

attn: ff nerds

do any of you know if the song "eyes on me" from final fantasy 8 was sung in english in the japanese version of the game too? i tried searching the net for a japanese version and only came up with one from another release, not the game itself

this leaves me wondering watz up w/ dat
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

RyanThunder
Knows Best

#2119 Post by RyanThunder »

So we've been reduced to asking "why" recursively, like toddlers. :picard:

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#2120 Post by Phantasee »

RyanThunder wrote:
So we've been reduced to asking "why" recursively, like toddlers. :picard:
why