Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
joviwan

Re: Testing Chat IV: A New Hope

#1601 Post by joviwan »

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee my reaper kickstarter reward arrived eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Civil War Man

#1602 Post by Civil War Man »

joviwan wrote:reaper kickstarter
We have dismissed that claim.

joviwan

#1603 Post by joviwan »

Civil War Man wrote:
joviwan wrote:reaper kickstarter
We have dismissed that claim.

:mario:

Straha
Lecturer

#1604 Post by Straha »

Rumors of a rogue agent.
"Is it not part of being erotically experienced, however, to know that the desire to enter the other can lead one to the wrong entrance?" - Peter Sloterdijk

"Ethics is endless, the law is terminal." - Paul Mann

Questor

#1605 Post by Questor »

Good god. Even when they're on the side of the angels over there, they just can't keep the morons from speaking, can they?

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 8#p3784968

http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 9#p3784969

Aaron
El Duderino

#1606 Post by Aaron »

As per my agreement with Flagg I'm staying out of it.

Though I have to laugh at the idea of a gun licence somehow being inappropriate to use as ID to vote. Ours are issued by the feds and my wife votes with it all the time. I could see objections based on a lack of common standards (I imagine states vary widely in how they handle it) but the idea that its somehow wrong is...offensive, to me anyways.

Oxymoron

#1607 Post by Oxymoron »

Why are people opposed to the idea of a Citizen ID like we have in France (example)?
No.

Flagg

#1608 Post by Flagg »

Aaron wrote:As per my agreement with Flagg I'm staying out of it.

Though I have to laugh at the idea of a gun licence somehow being inappropriate to use as ID to vote. Ours are issued by the feds and my wife votes with it all the time. I could see objections based on a lack of common standards (I imagine states vary widely in how they handle it) but the idea that its somehow wrong is...offensive, to me anyways.
The problem is gun licenses being OK while Student ID and other forms of widely used ID are not, simply because someone with a CCW is more likely to vote conservative while a student is not.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Flagg

#1609 Post by Flagg »

Oxymoron wrote:Why are people opposed to the idea of a Citizen ID like we have in France (example)?
A national picture ID that just replaces the social security card would be an ideal solution.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Oxymoron

#1610 Post by Oxymoron »

I would like it if the National ID and the Social Security card here were fused here. Problem being that such a thing has been attempted in the past, and, well... People have expressed a certain discomfort at the idea.
No.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1611 Post by Aaron »

Flagg wrote:
Aaron wrote:As per my agreement with Flagg I'm staying out of it.

The problem is gun licenses being OK while Student ID and other forms of widely used ID are not, simply because someone with a CCW is more likely to vote conservative while a student is not.
Oh, I get it now. That is greasy.

Losonti Tokash

#1612 Post by Losonti Tokash »

The same people want to prevent students from voting outside of their parents' district (rather then their place of residence) while also gutting absentee voting.

Oxymoron

#1613 Post by Oxymoron »

FREEDOM ! DEMOCRACY !
No.

Stofsk

#1614 Post by Stofsk »

Oxymoron wrote:Why are people opposed to the idea of a Citizen ID like we have in France (example)?
The arguments vary, but you get sort-of sensible arguments that it isn't necessary, because most people have a driver's licence which is kind of a de facto national ID anyway (and for those that don't, they'll probably have some other alternate form of ID), to full on woo-woo crap about zomg Big Gummint

Oxymoron

#1615 Post by Oxymoron »

But at least it would have the advantage of being universal, and even kids could have their own - I doubt a kid can have a driver or gun license.
No.

uraniun235

#1616 Post by uraniun235 »

Most (all?) states' Department of Motor Vehicles will issue a non-license ID card, including to minors.

I think part of the problem is that a state ID is already considered sufficient identification for many purposes, so if I already have my driver's license card, why should I have to carry a federal ID card?

Stofsk

#1617 Post by Stofsk »

Oxymoron wrote:But at least it would have the advantage of being universal, and even kids could have their own - I doubt a kid can have a driver or gun license.
Yeah but why would a kid need any kind of ID? The biggest reason anyone needs an ID is if they want something or go somewhere that requires a photo-ID that has your DOB on it. And that stops after you're sufficiently old enough not to be carded. For kids well that's not even going to work anyway, and for adults it's not necessary either.

Oxymoron

#1618 Post by Oxymoron »

I guess that's a question of cultural difference, then.

Here it's a proof of identity, the one document that indeed prove that you are you. It is used for all administrative procedures which need one to prove its identity.
No.

Oxymoron

#1619 Post by Oxymoron »

But we also have a deeply ingrained culture of a Centralized state, so...
No.

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#1620 Post by adr »

State IDs are already mostly universal. The same info is on them and states share that shit anyway.
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Stofsk

#1621 Post by Stofsk »

Oxymoron wrote:I guess that's a question of cultural difference, then.

Here it's a proof of identity, the one document that indeed prove that you are you.
Um, lots of things can do that too. That's what birth certificates, passports, driver's licence, bankcards, student cards, concession cards etc do.

I don't deny this might well be a cultural difference between one country where everything is a lot more centralised vs other countries that have multiple states sharing one national identity. I'm just saying that for the purposes of identification there are multiple documents or cards that can accomplish that.

Straha
Lecturer

#1622 Post by Straha »

According to Facebook Bear just passed away. :(
"Is it not part of being erotically experienced, however, to know that the desire to enter the other can lead one to the wrong entrance?" - Peter Sloterdijk

"Ethics is endless, the law is terminal." - Paul Mann

Losonti Tokash

#1623 Post by Losonti Tokash »

I just started reading It Can't Happen Here and it seems ridiculous how shit just never seems to change.

Aaron
El Duderino

#1624 Post by Aaron »

Pardon?

Oxymoron

#1625 Post by Oxymoron »

Aaron wrote:Pardon?
Maybe this ? => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Can%27t_Happen_Here
No.