Godammed SDN

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

Re: Godammed SDN

#9126 Post by starku »

It's a shame I can't find these articles because they were really interesting; the kick starter process is quite formalised and supported these days, but the people you have to deal with, placate and make feel special can be giant assholes

People who don't understand that a project isn't about SPEND ALL MONEY ON PROGRAMMERS :v

Dude the best thing about fury is that they fundamentally changed the game the day before launch so the manual was totally useless and actively misleading :lol:

Losonti Tokash

#9127 Post by Losonti Tokash »

dude the ultimate example of that is those star command dudes, the ones that got yelled at for buying ipads to develop an ipad game

like these panzer pet dudes they offered oodles of physical objects for low donations and so literally half of the money they got from the kickstarter had to pay for that shit

weemadando

#9128 Post by weemadando »

The Comedy Button (the first Kickstarter I supported) have regularly talked about how the physical rewards process cost FAR more than they'd anticipated as well as taking days upon days of their time to do all the handling/postage component.

This is without going into the "everyone takes commissions before you see a single cent and you have to pay US income taxes on raised funds" part of it.

weemadando

#9129 Post by weemadando »

Oh man, getting snarky and defensive. The truest sign of a savvy businessman.

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#9130 Post by Zablorg »

i feel kind of bad bout messing with this kid

maybe i am getting old

weemadando

#9131 Post by weemadando »

Zablorg wrote:i feel kind of bad bout messing with this kid

maybe i am getting old
Never been involved in games development Sir?

I'll have you know that I ran a Pen and Paper Games Studio into the ground.

THE GROUND SIR.

Well, not really. But I did run a games studio as an actual business for a year, with direct mentoring from government and corporate agencies, with minimal funds and so have an intimate knowledge of the many MANY MANY issues that these guys probably have never considered as part of the "creative" side.

Pro-tip. Take the amount of money you think you will need. Double it. Add a zero. You're getting close. The amount of sales that you've budgeted for? Remove two zeroes. You're getting close.

The one plus side of Kickstarter is that it can give you a pretty good idea of your market by letting you get a lot of what would have been day one/week one sales in your production cycle. The downside of that is, that you might have drastically cut your launch audience and significantly shortened the tail of your game by taking all those buyers now, which means you may be facing a serious cash shortfall post launch.

But hey, what do we know, we're not "industry types".

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#9132 Post by starku »

I got better advice

Do a single course on business management

Take like 3 months

Govt prolly subsidise it in Dutchland

weemadando

#9133 Post by weemadando »

I did this stuff through NEIS.

Classroom work to get you a Cert IV in Business Management along with regular sessions with State, Federal and Private industry folks about the various pros and cons of your business plans. Then you pitch it to a board of people when you're done and if they're happy with your business plan's viability, you get to keep getting paid NewStart (the dole), but it's called something different and earnings from your business don't effect it for the first year.

I'm certain the Dutch would have something similar.

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#9134 Post by starku »

I'm not sure if the neis stuff is the same but I dunno

Regardless you gotta assume they believe their plan is good and all you can do is wait

weemadando

#9135 Post by weemadando »

Sea Skimmer just... just...

:ice:

I never thought I would be pulling out this face :sun: in regard to a post he made.

Dooey Jo

#9136 Post by Dooey Jo »

she/he/it/they/we/you/i/one probably cannot do very much to change their business model anyway soooo

but that "death by sexual intercourse" turned out to be amazing

fgalkin is like "guys GUYS mike wong said something somewhere that would sound awesome if the genders were reversed let's discuss this down-to-earth wisdom"

then another guy goes

well in my fanfic if i was getting raped against my will i would wait until she was asleep and then construct a complicated system of ropes and pulleys to drop an anvil on her head when she opened the door. then when she was dizzy i would use my fierce meta-fighting skills to claim victory and be greeted as a hero by the authorities and public

welp all i say is if they didn't want to be raped they probably shouldn't have sported erections because those things are easy to control and also the only place where a man can be raped
DracuLax - when even Death can't scare the shit out of you

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#9137 Post by Zablorg »

Dooey Jo wrote:she/he/it/they/we/you/i/one probably cannot do very much to change their business model anyway soooo

but that "death by sexual intercourse" turned out to be amazing

fgalkin is like "guys GUYS mike wong said something somewhere that would sound awesome if the genders were reversed let's discuss this down-to-earth wisdom"
wait wait wait

am i understanding this right (because I don't see that particular bit in the thread)

it would sound awesome if it was a woman who was forced to have sex to the point of bodily harm?

i mean

Dooey Jo

#9138 Post by Dooey Jo »

he was asking why these manly men couldn't just leave

if someone had asked why womanly women couldn't just escape from their rapist everyone would see it's a pretty fucked up question

well, unless they think "rape" means "assault in the park at night" and only that i guess

Zablorg
Baron of the Burrito

#9139 Post by Zablorg »

has technology truly progressed to the point where physical strength is not necessarily a dominant factor in agressive situations????

timmy

#9140 Post by timmy »

Christ, I get comfortable with wikipedia and them I'm reminded
The episode contains several pop culture references. The title of the episode "From Whom the Sleigh Bell Tolls" is a parody of the Metallica song entitled "From Whom the Bell Tolls".
I mean I suppose it could be, but still, jesus.
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

starku
UNPROVOKED CYNICISM

#9141 Post by starku »

Man wiki is full of stuff like that

Nobody reads books

Dooey Jo

#9142 Post by Dooey Jo »

Zablorg wrote:has technology truly progressed to the point where physical strength is not necessarily a dominant factor in agressive situations????
well let's list some interesting* assumptions contained within the reasoning

- all men are sufficiently more physically capable than all women to make physical coercion impossible
- physical coercion is the only way to force someone to do something against their will
- it is always wise to use physical force to escape threatening situations
- people always act rationally in threatening situations

*wrong

Shroom Man 777
The Mang, the Myth, the Legend.

#9143 Post by Shroom Man 777 »

slacked jawed flagg offs this stuff will turn ya into sexual tyrannosauruses just like me

Shroom Man 777

#9144 Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Einhander Sn0m4n

#9145 Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:sexual tyrannosaurus
You excited about borderlands 2? :fukyu:

Einhander Sn0m4n

#9146 Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:sexual tyrannosaurus
You excited about borderlands 2? :fukyu:
That's a purty spess chip, but my nasty mutated omega destroyer can kick its butt and probably eat five or six old omegas for dessert!

Shroom Man 777

#9147 Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Oxymoron

#9148 Post by Oxymoron »

I hear Vladimir Harkonnen is interested in joining TEO.

No.

Shroom Man 777

#9149 Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Count Chocula
Liberal

#9150 Post by Count Chocula »

Is it just me, or is TEO turning into a 90+% game/movie commentary board? N&P and SLAM seem to be suffering from creeping desertification.
"We've already had this discussion before. I treated you of barbaric caveman then." - Oxymoron

"He killed 80 people in 2 days"
"...he's adopted." - The Avengers