If you'd been able to hear it under load outside the cab you would have known
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

Re: The Testingtard's Lament: Boo-Hoo-in' Revolution

#2177 Post by Phantasee »

I wasn't driving it.

I think it had more to do with the regen system. These fucking clean diesels with their horrible regeneration systems that burn up the ash and soot in the filter need special variable geometry turbos that cost an arm and a leg and if any part of your turbo to exhaust system is out of whack it's a thousand bucks plus to fix it, or else you've got a very large paper weight.

I'm glad they finally dumped them in favour of the IIRC Volvo or Mercedes system (and perhaps other mfgs as well in smaller engines) with the diesel exhaust fluid (urea) tanks.

For perspective, regen systems being shitty led to Caterpillar selling their medium engine division, because the warranty claims and lost sales ruined them. I believe something similar happened to Cummins over their small engines, the ones in Dodge Ram pick ups, earlier. This, from being market leaders before the 2006 introduction (even though they'd switched to those horrible twin-turbo designs, with shit reliability; they were coasting on their reputation from their single turbo days, which lasted until 2004 iirc).
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Darth Fanboy
has no method to his madness.

#2178 Post by Darth Fanboy »

if the asteroid strikes tomorrow, thatd be just fucking fine, So long as I know enough in advance so I could stay home with the dog and pop on some tunes.

fml

timmy

#2179 Post by timmy »

It gets better mate. Usually does.
"also it really shits my mum so it's a good way of winding her up"

-thejester

Agent Bert Macklin

#2180 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

It appears my stepfather has given up. Completely. I went to visit him yesterday and he would not eat. He just wanted to sleep. He's skin and bones. It;s heart breaking. I don't think he'll last the year.

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#2181 Post by Phantasee »

Darth Fanboy wrote:if the asteroid strikes tomorrow, thatd be just fucking fine, So long as I know enough in advance so I could stay home with the dog and pop on some tunes.

fml
8 hours until impact, what do you listen to?
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Agent Bert Macklin

#2182 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Phantasee wrote:
Darth Fanboy wrote:if the asteroid strikes tomorrow, thatd be just fucking fine, So long as I know enough in advance so I could stay home with the dog and pop on some tunes.

fml
8 hours until impact, what do you listen to?
Howard Shore's and Annie Lennox's "Into the West".

Losonti Tokash

#2183 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Man Mark Tufo is a shitty author. As if over half a dozen "poop smells bad" jokes weren't enough, we get loads of sexist and homophobic shit just thrown all over his book. The sound of a cracking skull is described as repulsive as the sight of two guys kissing, characters you're supposed to find sympathetic use anti-gay slurs, and the female characters are atrocities.

1) One woman is described entirely as being a "bull dyke."
2) Her partner, described as the "feminine half" of the couple, has a nervous breakdown almost immediately and decides to tell everyone zombies are almost as bad as men. Main character remarks that this throws out any chance of a heterosexual conversion. She's only ever mentioned to say she's crying or doing something that endangers them.
3) His daughter and wife rely entirely on the protection of their male family members, are shown repeatedly to be incompetent at everything from firearms to driving, and only have any agency when they decide to get cigarettes. Whereupon they immediately grab shopping carts and are soooo ecstatic about shopping. They get attacked by a zombie but flail uselessly until the wife recognizes the zombie as a woman who tried to sleep with her husband. They fight back by throwing condoms at it, then jam the barrel of a gun into its mouth (which the zombie wraps its lips around, naturally) but they forgot to load it or bring any ammo. Their defining characteristic is being able to use their shrill voices to cow men into doing their bidding.

So glad I didn't pay anything for this thing.

PS For bonus points, the main character is a gun nut with an arsenal of illegal weapons who lives in Aurora, CO. Just a weird coincidence but there you go.

Aaron
El Duderino

#2184 Post by Aaron »

What book is this?

Losonti Tokash

#2185 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Oh, sorry. It's called Zombie Fallout and is apparently book 1 of 5 in the series of the same name.

evilsoup

#2186 Post by evilsoup »

lol
why would you even read something called zombie fallout?

oh man
http://zombiefallout.blogspot.co.uk/ wrote:"Oh fuck." BT said silently as he looked through the large bar covered picture window of Mary's modest siege home.

Losonti Tokash

#2187 Post by Losonti Tokash »

IBecause it was free. Also, BT is a gigantic black dude who in 100% of his appearances has appeared suddenly from shadows to scare white women.

Actual quote from main character's inner monologue: "Hispanic families were different from Americans. The husband still had the final say." Near the very beginning of the book he had a strawman racist knocked down so clearly accusing the author himself of saying racist shit would be silly.

evilsoup

#2188 Post by evilsoup »

it's bad-fanfiction level writing
apparantly the 'most wanted audiobook on amazon'

Losonti Tokash

#2189 Post by Losonti Tokash »

oh jesus you're right, the main character has the same initials as the author and at one point gets called "mark" without anyone remarking that isn't his name

evilsoup

#2190 Post by evilsoup »

surely you can tell that from the shit-tacular title
he said silently lol

Agent Bert Macklin

#2191 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

I miss my acoustic guitar. Listening to Tenacious D reminds me of a hell of a time I had playing it.

Aaron
El Duderino

#2192 Post by Aaron »

Your not one of those fucksticks that wanders around playing Tragically Hip songs in a transparent attempt to get laid, are you?

Agent Bert Macklin

#2193 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Aaron wrote:Your not one of those fucksticks that wanders around playing Tragically Hip songs in a transparent attempt to get laid, are you?
No. I knew someone at school who did that, though. It was insufferable. What made it worse as that he wasn't very good. Arpeggios are paramount and he couldn't do them well.

Oxymoron

#2194 Post by Oxymoron »

Dumb question, but how hard is it to play with your knub ?
No.

Agent Bert Macklin

#2195 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Oxymoron wrote:Dumb question, but how hard is it to play with your knub ?
It's somewhat difficult. I can't palm mute all six strings. I can't tap (I hate that style of music anyway; I'm a slow-burner solo man). My finger picking is limited to the thumb and index stumps. I do have an advantage, though: I can perform pinch harmonics with ease. I use my palm instead of my fingers.
Last edited by Agent Bert Macklin on Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agent Bert Macklin

#2196 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

I do prefer playing with an acoustic guitar, though, because full chords are easier for me.

Agent Bert Macklin

#2197 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

The problem with this hobby is that it's expensive,. The setup I want is probably around $8k, including the guitars, the amp head and cabinet, the effects and the pedal board.

Oxymoron

#2198 Post by Oxymoron »

yeah

the advantage with electronic music

is that it's all done with computers, and require less manual agility
No.

Agent Bert Macklin

#2199 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

Well, I can do that too. I can buy a card that allows direct input. Record and do all of the effects on the PC. I'd just rather have the physical shit. I really need an audio engineering friend.

Agent Bert Macklin

#2200 Post by Agent Bert Macklin »

In other news, I will be partaking in a Crohn's Disease study on Tuesday. I'll net $75. :)

Stark, I haven't bought anything for that guitar other than strings and picks. I don't even have a working amp. I use my brother's.