Lament 2: Cry Harder

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger.
adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

Re: Lament 2: Cry Harder

#101 Post by adr »

Crazedwraith wrote:What do you mean in this first section? That people will be so worried about falling afoul of hate laws, that they just won't say anything at all?
Yeah, or say less than they would without the law - moderate their politics to avoid running afoul of the law.
As to your second point, well yeah, its a law, that's open to abuse. Fair point but there has to be a system in place, like for all laws, to stop that happen. Just because there is scope for abuse doesn't stop things being worthwhile though.
Here's the main problem I have: we can check that charges brought in error are corrected. Judges, juries, appeals, etc. It's not perfect, but the system can work for it.

But, what about the other side? Suppose they bring charges against people spewing anti-testingstan hate speech, but never say anything about anti-teoite hate. What do we do then? Would the now perceived special treatment for testingstanis make the teoite feel even worse?
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#102 Post by Phantasee »

4 dudes have been charged but that was probably all it took to shut the rest of the hate speech up

people know what the line is now
My photographs: Instagram VSCO Grid

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#103 Post by Phantasee »

well except for that fuck wit ezra levant

Aaron
El Duderino

#104 Post by Aaron »

Which one is he?

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#105 Post by Phantasee »

Sun News fuckwit. Has gone to the Human Rights Tribunals a few times IIRC to challenge them. Might have gone overboard recently, tho: http://albertadiary.ca/2012/09/whos-cen ... light.html

Aaron
El Duderino

#106 Post by Aaron »

Am I off base here or is comparing muslims to dogs incredibly racist?

Akhlut

#107 Post by Akhlut »

It's not racist, because you have diverse black Africans, Arabs, Bedouins, Persians, Turks, Indians, Malaysians, Indonesians, Filipinos, and a host of other people who are Muslims. It is certainly denigrating for no real reason, though.

Flagg

#108 Post by Flagg »

You know when he says "muslims" he means Arabs.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine

Aaron
El Duderino

#109 Post by Aaron »

You know, I'm not really sure what ethnic groups Libyans belong to, not that it really matters as comparing a person to a dog has always been pretty insulting.

Gands

#110 Post by Gands »

A PR company contacted me, to be part of a group of TV/film buffs they're assembling for some promo trivia night.

I'll be at a table with "media people".

adr
Moon Prism Power, Make Up!

#111 Post by adr »

Aaron wrote:You know, I'm not really sure what ethnic groups Libyans belong to
humanity

(to give a less assy answer most libyans are arabs, but not all. one problem right now is a lot of the libyan rebels assumed all blacks were foreign mercenaries and it hasn't been pretty)
In the name of the moon, I will punish you!

weemadando

#112 Post by weemadando »

Gands wrote:A PR company contacted me, to be part of a group of TV/film buffs they're assembling for some promo trivia night.

I'll be at a table with "media people".
Did they ask if you had your own ST costume you could wear?

Gands

#113 Post by Gands »

No, but they do know I've got one ready.

Losonti Tokash

#114 Post by Losonti Tokash »

bill nye is super awesome and getting to see him is one of the coolest things i've gotten to do all year

Phantasee
I'mma let you finish

#115 Post by Phantasee »

is he as G as @Bill_Nye_tho?

Darksi4190
Not a Brony (Probably lol)

#116 Post by Darksi4190 »

So my computer just broke I think. When I start it up, it'll run just fine for like 5 minutes, then the screen turns light brown and freezes. I'm posting this from my laptop right now.

I think my Graphics card might be shitting the bed, but it's such an older model (A geforce 8600) I don't know where to get another one. I don't even think modern cards are compatible with my motherboard.

Darksi4190

#117 Post by Darksi4190 »

Argh. Re-installing drivers did nothing. If it's the video card, it's definitely fucked. Does anyone know if there are modern cards that'll work in an early PCI express X16 slot?

zhaktronz

#118 Post by zhaktronz »

All of them

Losonti Tokash

#119 Post by Losonti Tokash »

Phantasee wrote:is he as G as @Bill_Nye_tho?
shit yeah son

Darksi4190

#120 Post by Darksi4190 »

zhaktronz wrote:All of them
oh well that's good. better than replacing my entire system i guess. I'm going to swap my video card out for a friend's old one to make sure it isn't something else first though.

Darksi4190

#121 Post by Darksi4190 »

Ok, it's looking more and more like i'm going to have to replace my entire system. The GPU and CPU both seem to be having issues.

Would any computer-savvy posters care to give their opinions on This as a replacement?

Oxymoron

#122 Post by Oxymoron »

The question is more "what do you want to do with you PC and how much is your budget ?"

At first glance, that PC is pretty decent for playing recent games, but the thing is by spending, like, $300, you could get something so much better... But then spending $1000 on a computer is kinda ridiculous.

That's why I ask : what do you want, and how much are you willing to spend ?
No.

Darksi4190

#123 Post by Darksi4190 »

Enough to play Starcraft 2 and Star Wars TOR on something higher than the lowest settings is fine with me. I don't buy too many PC games nowadays. I've always bought low-to-mid range and then just upgraded later if it was necessary. The only thing about that machine which gives me pause is the 350W power supply which seems a bit on the low side.

Oxymoron

#124 Post by Oxymoron »

Yeah, 350W is okay if you trust the number blindly, but given what it has to power it'll have to run close to full capacity almost all the time, and that's going to make it die quick - like, it's probably going to die in two to three years, four or five if you're careful. If you want to have some peace of mind on that side you may want to look at a 500W power supply, or even a 650W one if you want to go crazy.

Also, if you can afford one of these high-efficiency power supply, the planet and the portion of your wallet dedicated to paying electricity bills will thank you. :prof:

Other than that, you shouldn't have any problem running the games you cited on that computer.

Disclaimer : the last time I touched computer hardware was more than two years ago and I haven't followed the recent developments in hardware wanking, so I may be out of my element here. The only thing that ells me you shouldn't have any problem is that I watched some benchmark for the GPU in that computer, and it seems good enough.
No.

Flagg

#125 Post by Flagg »

It's more than fine to play Starcraft 2 and TOR on.
CUNTS! FOR! EYES!
The Liberal Hate Machine